Quick Take: The U.S. exports fast food to China
In September, the monthly U.S. goods deficit with China continued its ascent, rising to $29.1 billion, from $28.7 billion in August. This is only the second time in U.S. history that the monthly trade gap with China has exceeded $29 billion.
At this rate, the U.S. stands to surpass the trade deficit it racked up with China in 2011, $295.4 billion.
Ironically, even as imports from China continue to outpace U.S. exports, America is able to export some of its most durable brands. Specifically, fast food franchises like Pizza Hut, KFC, and McDonald's are expanding their chains in China.
As MSNBC reports, U.S.-based restaurant chains hope that Chinese consumers will drive future growth. One example, Yum! Brands, which owns the KFC label, already derives half its revenues from its 5,000 restaurants in China. The company hopes to have at least 20,000 outlets in years to come.
Related recent Blogs
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013
- National Retail Federation dismisses global safety plan for garment factories while Cambodian shoe factory collapses. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- OPINION: Aren't we better off buying safe, Made-in-USA products? • by scapozzola • 05/16/2013
- May 16, 2013 Headlines: factory collapses in Cambodia, U.S. retail industry dismisses plan for safer working conditions, & more • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- U.S. Senate Passes Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) with Buy America Amendment Included. • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- And the crystal ball says that U.S. manufacturing is going up/down/sideways... • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013
- Japan's currency moves are heating up a trade problem • by scapozzola • 05/15/2013