Are we ready for what comes after Sandy?
President Obama will tour Hurricane Sandy-damaged areas of New York this afternoon, accompanied by various New York State officials and Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano.
While the cleanup from the hurricane will likely be going on well into next year, it’s imperative that elected officials consider the country’s preparedness for storms of this magnitude in the future.
This past summer, the Alliance for American Manufacturing (AAM) released a report co-written by former Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge and Assistant Secretary Col. Robert Stephan. The authors believe the United States is becoming too dependent on foreign suppliers to respond in a timely fashion following a crisis.
In the wake of yet another giant storm, it seems more imperative than ever to ramp up America's manufacturing base to prepare for future problems.
Image by Flickr user DVIDSHUB used following Creative Commons guidelines.
Related recent Blogs
- RADIO: AAM's Scott Paul on Leslie Marshall Radio Show, May 20, 2013 • by scapozzola • 05/21/2013
- May 21, 2013 Headlines: Tensions with North Korea, a stronger WTO, and more. • by LRaup • 05/21/2013
- Shoring up our security means addressing the China challenge • by mmcmullan • 05/20/2013
- Quote of the Day from Caterpillar's Doug Oberhelman • by LDonia • 05/20/2013
- May 20, 2013 Headlines: Manufacturing & social media, growth of the U.S. economy, and more. • by LRaup • 05/20/2013
- President Obama visits Baltimore factory to promote infrastructure investment as a means of revitalizing the middle class • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- It's Fashion Friday, but NoCargo carries more than just American-made clothing! • by LDonia • 05/17/2013
- May 17, 2013 Headlines: Strengthening our national security, focusing on jobs, and more. • by LRaup • 05/17/2013
- Five reasons you should be concerned about the U.S. military's reliance on foreign manufacturers. • by LDonia • 05/16/2013
- Looking for a manufacturing job? Consider heading to one of these ten metro areas! • by mmcmullan • 05/16/2013